This Chickpea “Tuna” Salad Sandwich is super quick and easy to make, only requires 10 ingredients, healthy and packed with protein, vegan, GF and oil free!
YASSS!!! I can’t even believe how amazing this vegan “tuna” substitute is! It is oil free also, this is totally a whole foods kind of sandwich! I think you are going to love it!
So, before going vegan errr scratch that before going vegetarian (been vegetarian for about 11 years and vegan almost 2) I used to like the whole tuna, mayo, celery, pickle sandwich thing and let me tell you this Chickpea “Tuna” Salad Sandwich is pretty dang close!
Of course this is oil free so it’s not exactly the same but if you want it even closer you could use the veganaise which has oil but would make this even more realistic.
Basically you mash up chickpeas or garbanzo beans and then you add in the chopped veggies and it makes the most amazing magic, I’m not sure if it’s the grated carrots or what but the texture is even very similar to tuna…
A couple things I would like to mention though, please do not skip the apple cider vinegar in the dressing and do not skip the pickle in the recipe because those are so crucial to really giving it that extra tang in flavor.
This also makes a crazy amount, you would be surprised at how many sandwiches this actually makes. I got about 6 but I used a GF bread which is kinda small so if you are using regular toast then you’ll most likely only get about 4 but that’s like helloooo meal prepping lunch is made for a couple days! 😉
Yeah, I love making extra because I am lazy. period. LOL I spend so much time in the kitchen testing recipes and photographing them that I just like having my food ready and done. Just another reason why I love showing you healthy ideas like this because not only am I showing you how to have lunch prepped for the next couple days but I also have mine prepped for the next couple days! Win win! 😉
Unlike desserts… yeah, they sure are tasty but I can’t sit and eat muffins all day long HA I need good clean whole foods.
Anyways, this Chickpea Tuna Salad Sandwich is:
Healthy + clean
Easy + filling + satisfying
Packed with protein
Great on sandwiches or even topped on a bed of lettuce
Great for meal prepping
Oil free, vegan, GF and soy free!
Ok, that’s all 😉 I really hope you give this a try and let me know in the comments + ratings below what you thought! also snap a pic and show me on social media!
- 1 Can 15-16 oz. of chickpeas or garbanzo beans (drained and rinsed)
- ⅓ cup chopped purple onion
- ½ cup celery chopped small
- ½ cup grated carrots (about 1 large Carrot or 6-9 small snacking carrots)
- ⅓ cup pickles chopped up
- optional: GF bread to serve on or enjoy this recipe plain.
- 1 tsp spicy brown mustard
- 1 TBSP natural tahini
- ½ tsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- 2 - 2½ TBSP water to thin is out ( ad very last, you want it to be pretty think so it will mix in and evenly coat everything)
- First drain and rinse the can of chickpeas and add them to a large mixing bowl. (you can peel the skins off if they bother you but I personally did not)
- Using a fork or a potato masher, mash the chickpeas, some chunks are ok but mash as best you can.
- Chop up the rest of the ingredients and add them to the bowl. Give it a stir.
- Mix up the dressing in a separate small bowl, pour it on top the mixture and stir everything up util it is well coated. (if you like really heavy dressing then double the dressing recipe)
- makes about 4-6 sandwiches worth depending on size of bread.