These Healthy Vegan Chocolate Chip Muffins are sweetened with maple syrup and chocolate chips, super easy to make and great for breakfast, dessert or just snacking! Vegan.
Chocolate muffins in your face today friends!!! 😉
I modified my Amazing Blueberry Muffins recipe and made it quite a bit healthier! The only “added” sugar in these Healthy Vegan Chocolate Chip Muffins are the chocolate chips! The other sweeteners are natural, maple syrup and apple sauce!
But if you aren’t the type that likes lower sugar desserts that’s totally cool by me 😉 hope over and check out the blueberry ones linked above!
Soooo I’ll be honest, these started out as a chocolate raspberry muffin… that didn’t go very well, the raspberries got ishy soggy and made strange bubbles in the middle of the muffin… it was definitely NOT good! But the chocolate chips in here worked amazing, every bite is soft and slightly chewy, dense and moist and has mini chocolate chips, I mean what could be better?… now that I am typing this, I think maybe some walnuts would have been pretty tasty too… next time!
Also I know everyone who is Gluten Free is probably disappointed right now, but I’ll be honest GF baking is HARD! I’m trying to find a flour or a mix that I like when it comes to baking things like muffins but I usually don’t like how it turns out, either a funky texture or strange taste… but I keep trying, so all you who are GF, be patient with me I’m always thinking about it! 😉
Anyways, let me tell you a little more about these Healthy Vegan Chocolate Chip Muffins:
Slightly chewy texture
Fairly low in added sugar from the chocolate chips (not counting maple syrup or apple sauce)
Chocolate chip delightful-ness!
amazing when warmed up in the microwave also!
Great breakfast, dessert or snack!
You need them! 😉
p.s. this will seem like a really thick batter but trust me that is what makes this so dense and delicious!
That’s all for now, I really hope you try them and let me know what you think! And if you’re not really into the whole “naturally sweetened/low sugar” thing then be sure to check out my Amazing Blueberry Muffins!
want to PIN this for later? click here
and don’t forget to sign up for email updates (drop your email in the box below!)
- DRY INGREDIENTS:
- 1 ½ cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup plus 2 tbsp cocoa powder (plain dark chocolate)
- WET INGREDIENTS:
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk mixed with ½ tsp apple cider vinegar (let sit 5 minutes)
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 3 oz. unsweetened natural apple sauce
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla
- ADD INS:
- ½ cup vegan chocolate chips (I use Enjoy Life brand)
- Pre heat the oven at 375 F
- In a large mixing bowl add all your dry ingredients.
- In a small bowl add the almond milk and apple cider vinegar and set aside
- In a separate smaller bowl add your coconut oil (melt in microwave for a few seconds if it is not already liquid) add the rest of the wet ingredients except the almond milk mixture.
- Add the almond milk mixture and the other wet ingredients into the dry ingredient bowl and stir until everything is well combined. Add the vegan chocolate chips and stir them in.
- Spray your muffin tin with non-stick spray (unless it’s a non-stick pan) and spoon the batter evenly into 7 muffins. Top with extra chocolate chips if desired.
- Place in the oven and bake for 23 minutes or until a tooth pick comes out clean when you poke it into the muffin centers.
- Let cool at least 15 minutes before removing from the muffin pan.
AND this microwaved to be nice and warm the next day is even more delicious!
UPDATE: A reader let me know she used brown sugar instead of maple syrup and it still turned out good, I have not personally tried it but I wanted to make a note of that.
You might also LOVE these Amazing Blueberry Muffins!