This Healthy Vegan Spicy Broccoli Mac n Cheese is super simple to make, rich and creamy, indulgent and VEGAN! perfect comforting dinner!
“do one thing every day that gets you a little bit closer to your DREAM”
Who doesn’t love Mac n’ Cheese? I hope you said no one? HA!
This creamy cheesy pasta loving dish comes together in about 30 minutes and it is so rich and indulgent you won’t know how you went this long without already trying it!
So to make this you really do need a high speed blender, although if you have a magic bullet or a ninja it will still work it just won’t be as creamy.
I personally usually make it in a ninja food processor but I have had similar versions made in a vitamix before and let me tell you, it makes a huge difference! … but again it’s still amazing in the ninja, just not as creamy as it could be. 😉
Now let’s talk consistency for a second, I personally wrote the recipe how I like it, thick and creamy BUT if you are someone who prefers a thinner consistency for the sauce please feel free to just add a little more almond milk no big deal! (or if you’re having trouble getting it to blend because you don’t have a fancy blender just add more almond milk!)
SPICY! Let’s be real this is a personal thing wouldn’t ya’ say? … so what I have down for the recipe is considered spicy to me but in all honesty I’m pretty wimpy when it comes to spice so pleaseee taste it and add a little more heat if necessary for you! … Also note that cayenne is one of those spices that has an after burn effect so be sparingly with it! 😉
Ok this brings us to the good ol’ details part of the post! So let’s jump right in…
This Healthy Vegan Spicy Broccoli Mac n Cheese is:
Creamy + Rich
Comforting and warm
Easily GF by swapping the pasta for a GF variety
I really hope you give it a try and let me know what you think!!! Also take a pic and tag me on social media I love seeing what you make!
Drop a comment and rating below I would appreciate it bunches!!! 😉
I hope you give this a try and let me know what you think!
Leave a comment and a rating if you do try this!
Also take a pic and tag us on social media!
want to PIN this for later? click here
and don’t forget to sign up for email updates (drop your email in the box below!)
- - 1 cup raw cashews (soaked overnight in 1 cup of water)
- - ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- - Pinch of black pepper
- - ¼ tsp onion powder
- - ¼ - ½ tsp cayenne pepper powder
- - 2 tsp chili powder
- - 1 tsp spicy brown mustard
- - ⅔ – 1 cup Almond milk (I used SILK unsweetened vanilla)
- - 2 TBSP olive oil (optional see notes)*
- - 8 oz. pasta (any kind you like)
- - ¼ of an onion chopped
- - ½ cup chopped mushrooms (or more)
- - ½ cup small chopped broccoli (or more)
- Start by soaking cashews overnight.
- The next day when ready to make the mac n cheese… bring water to a boil and cook the pasta.
- While pasta is cooking, drain and RINSE cashews, add to a high speed blender and add the almond milk, nutritional yeast, cayeene powder, chili powder, onion powder, pepper and spicy mustard. Blend until creamy smooth. Can add more almond milk if you desire a thinner consistency. (*add olive oil in here if you are deciding to use it, see notes)
- Rinse, chop and sautee the broccoli, onion and mushrooms in a non-stick skillet. (can season with pepper, chili, onion powder if desired)
- Drain the pasta and put back in the pan, pour the creamy sauce over the top and stir in. Add the veggies and stir again. Turn heat back on medium for 1-2 minutes until sauce is warm, let cool and enjoy!
- Serves 2-4
Blender: a high speed blender works best, but if all you have is a magic bullet or ninja blender it will still work it just may not be as smooth… it will still be delicious!